Australian Cruise

Australian Cruise
Our first full day in Australia, 2012, on a Freemantle beach.

Saturday, February 21, 2015

My first attempt at designing my own snowflake!

I was at a basketball game and brought along my thread and hook, but only one simple snowflake pattern, because I wanted to actually be able to watch the game!  I finished that snowflake before the 1st half was over..... Hmmmm.  Maybe I'll just start crocheting and see what I come up with....  Here are the results!


The one on the top is the first attempt, and I finished it by the end of the game.  I decided to make another version the next day, and that is on the bottom.  The secondary loops are on the 4th row instead of the 3rd, so they doesn't have the single crocheting around them.  Also, on the first attempt, I made the loops 8 chains on the 3rd row, so it was a lot more loose.  I kind of like that look. 

If I was to do it again, I'd make the picots on the secondary loops much smaller, like all 3ch picots, instead of 5ch, 7ch, 5 ch triple picots.  I like large picots, but it is a bit too much here for ALL the loops to have such large picots.

Here is my pattern (my 2nd snowflake):
Rhonda's Snowflake
Special stitches:
5 ch picot: ch 5, sl st in 5th ch from hook.
Triple picot:  ch 5, sl st in 5th ch from hook; ch 7, sl st in 7th ch from hook; ch 5, st st in 5th ch from hook; sl st in first sl st.


Ch 6 and sl st in 6th ch from hook to make a loop, or (preferred) make a magic ring.
Rd. 1:  Ch 2 (counts as dc), 11 dc in ring.   (12 dc)
Rd. 2:  (Ch 6, skip a stitch, sl st in next st) 5 times.  Ch 3, dc in beg st.   (6 loops)
Rd. 3:  Ch 1, sc in same loop, (Ch 6, sc in next loop) around, joining at at beg sc.  (6 loops)
Rd. 4:  Ch 1, sc in same loop, *in next loop (4 sc, 5 ch picot, 4sc); sc in sc.*  Repeat around, sl st in beg. sc.
Rd. 5: [Ch 5, triple picot, ch 5, sl st in same st. Ch 12, triple picot, ch 6, sl st in 6th ch from hook, ch 6, sl st in next sc.]  Repeat around, sl st in beg. st.
Finish, weaving in ends, and stiffen.


2 comments: