Australian Cruise

Australian Cruise
Our first full day in Australia, 2012, on a Freemantle beach.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

My latest attempt on the Y Trail

I was too busy last week to hike up to the Y, but this week I had some time.  Plus, I could see the Y, and the weather had been warm, so I figured most of the snow that had come down recently would be gone.

Well, yes, the recent snow was gone.  In fact, I had to scrap mud off my shoes before I got back in the car.  BUT, that nice snow pack on the switch backs was now ICE. 
Turn 1, Y trail, looking up.
I tried to squeeze around the corner without stepping on any ice, but it was impossible.  I didn't get 2 steps before I slipped.  Sigh.  Thankfully, I just hurt a knee, and not too bad.  But decided that I didn't want to try to go higher.
Turn 1, Y Trail, looking down.
So instead of going all the way up to Turn 10, I went up to Turn 1 and back down three times!  Kind of got boring, so I figured 3 times, and 35 minutes was good enough. :-)

Here's the prickly bush I stood next to while taking these pictures.
Prickly bush on Y trail.  Yikes! 
I was hoping to get some of my own photos from "high", but this was as high as I went.  I'll try again in a week, and see if the ice is melted yet!  Too scary this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment